Sunday, March 24, 2013

Look away, Mamma V!

    My mother in law gave us a beautiful sofa table a few months ago when they were cleaning out their back room , and I thought it would make a great addition to our hallway, But I've got different plans for the hallway now. So the pretty sofa table sat in our closet without even an idea for use for a few months... then the master bedroom got rolling, and I had an idea.

    I wanted a bench for in front of the bed, but we don't have a very large master bedroom, so I always nixed the idea. But after my usual (hours and hours of) searching houzz for inspiration, I saw this BEAUTIFUL skinny bench....


Then the wheels started turning.
So we fetched the sofa table out of the closet, and cut about 12 or so inches from the legs, to make it shorter than the bed, with the upholstery.


Then we realized it was WAYYY to wide to use against the bed, so we needed to change the top to something skinnier.... so I found a piece of scrap pine from a shelving unit we recently had to take out. Worked out perfectly. It was only 1 foot wide, and perfect length! 


So the we took the table apart, because we had to trim the side aprons in order to make the bench skinnier. The amazing DH ripped them to about 7 inches, and he performed some sort of magic to put it back together without cursing. I didn't ask any questions. 


Then we did the usual routine of 2 layers of foam, then a layer of quilt batting over the piece of shelving to smooth out the foam. 



Then the fabric (which took awhile to choose, becuase I'm apparently the most indecisive person when it comes to picking accent pieces).. was ironed, and smoothed over the batting. We had some trouble figuring out the corners, but ah well. I feel like we are the only people that will ever notice the little wrinklies. 

Then the top was attached to the bottom, and ta-da! We're all done. Didn't take very long at all! 
Depending on how far we go with the navy accents, the bottom of this will most likely be painted a cottage white. 


I'm kind of in love. 

I just have to fill this bed with all kinds of blue accent pillows with funky patterns, a striped navy and white rug, and this bedroom will be JUST what I've pictured. 




No comments:

Post a Comment