Saturday, March 23, 2013

DIY *incomplete but still decent* headboard...

     So I've been falling in love with pottery barn lately.. and even more in love with this $950 headboard..

   So after scouring the internet for tutorials I came to 2 conclusions:

      1. I could probably do this..
      2. Canada will definatley not have that pretty nailhead readily available to me anywhere....because thats just how it goes for me, so I'll have to order it from the internet, and hope that I found the right color.... and deal with an unfinished (sorta cute) headboard for now.

    So I begged my hubby to help me out, since I'm 4 months pregnant and pretty useless when it comes to lugging huge sheets of plywood home, let alone ripping them through the table saw.... and all worked out well. About 2 hours of shopping, we had everything we needed.

1. 3/4" sheet of plywood ($35 @ Lowes)
2. 2 twin mattress covers (which are a steal at my gramps' favourite store, Liquidation World.. $15/ea)
3. 1 roll of quilt batting from Fabricland ($4.50 at 50% off day)
4. 1 2m sheet of cream fabric ($16 at 50% off day)
5. A staple gun/staples (free as I mooched them)
6. A patient Hubby, and his power tools. (priceless)

Total cost of new headboard - $85.50.. STEAL!


   Here is how it went down in a little under 2 hours..

We cut the plywood to size (44"x63") and cut out some legs. I determined my previous ugly headboard started about 20" from the floor, so I made it 18" just to be safe. Oh, and don't forget to use a super professional workbench like my dining room table. What? Its cold out.


Next we used spray adhesive to bond the 2 layers of mattress topper to the frame. We then used a bread knife to trim it up to shape. 



 Then we used the batting to pull it all together tight and making it smooth.



    TA-DAAAAAAAA
Its so pretty. We screwed up a little on the legs... meaning I screwed up.... But its the legs, so nobody will see it.



      The bedroom is pretty ghetto fab right now, as we don't have window trim, or art above the bed, buttt that will come in time. I kinda like my new spiffy headboard! Not bad for 85 bucks!
Now I just wait for my nailhead trim kit to come in from ebay, and it will look just like the Pottery Barn version .. (I hope..)

                                                                         Beauty! Ciao : )





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment